top of page
Owner on international travel with her pet

Health Certificates

International Health Certificates (Dogs & Cats)

Howard County Animal Hospital is proud to offer both Interstate and International Health certificates for dogs and cats. Most countries need specifc paperwork filled out by a vet and brought with them while traveling abroad. These standards vary greatly country by county. You must first learn the requirements for your destination, then bring your pet and all previous veterinarian records to Howard County Animal Hospital. A USDA-accredited veterinarian will check your records, conduct the requisite examinations, provide any pre-travel medications or tests, and finish the relevant paperwork for you. When scheduling an appointment, request to be seen by the proper USDA-accredited veterinarian because not all of the staff veterinarians have this accreditation.

For Interstate Travel (Within the USA)

Many states require an up-to-date Certificate of Veterinary Inspection from a licensed, accredited veterinarian when traveling. Your pet must be examined by a veterinarian in order for a health certificate to be issued. This certificate indicates that your pet is healthy for travel and that he or she is not showing signs of disease. This certificate is required by most airlines in order for your pet to travel within the United States. We strongly recommend contacting your individual airline to understand their specific travel requirements. Oftentimes airlines require that your pet be examined by a veterinarian and a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel. Check with your airline to ensure that your paperwork will be in order (THIS IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY). If necessary we are able to add a certificate of acclimation to your pet’s travel papers. This certificate is written at the discretion of our veterinarians and is based upon our vet’s assessment of your pet’s health allowing him or her to travel above or below certain temperatures.

For International Travel (Outside the USA)

Many countries have their own pet health certificates and travel requirements, available at


You should start planning your pet's travel requirements 3-6 months in advance and if you need help then schedule a consult with our USDA veterinarian to confirm requirements as every country has different requirements and procedures.
The International Health Certificate should be issued by one of our USDA certified veterinarians at Howard County Animal Hospital as near to the travel date as possible, but not more than 21 days before travel. The certificate should indicate the following:

  • Name of pet

  • Breed

  • Color

  • Age of pet

  • Country of origin

  • Name/address/phone number of the owner of pet

  • Confirmation that pet is healthy and free of parasites

  • Vaccinations given, including type, manufacturer, and batch number

Additional Information:

Health Certficate Request

Please take a moment to fill out the form.

Owner Details

Pet Details

Travel Information

Thanks for submitting! We'll be in touch soon!

Veterinarian of Ellicott City, Dr. Parker with patient assessing pet for international health certificate

Come, sit, heal.

Whether your pet is in need of routine care or emergency surgery we got you covered. Howard County Animal Hospital is a full service veterinary clinic offering a range of veterinary care to the pets of Ellicott City, Columbia, Baltimore, Catonsville, Elkridge, Pikesville, Woodlawn, Randallstown, Towson and the surrounding areas located just off of route 40 outside of the 695 beltway.

We felt so heard here, and I am so grateful for all the informaton the staff gave to us. As a first time dog parent, I always have questions. Thanks for listening and taking great care of our big guy!


bottom of page